YA Eco Mysteries, Memoirs, Novels & Travel
Through my Sizzling Six eco mystery series I hope to inspire young people to feel wonder and curiosity for the natural world, and then to learn how to take intelligent action to resolve environmental problems. Here is a selected list of books with an environmental theme that I have enjoyed and that I believe my young readers will also enjoy:
1) Carl Hiaason creates child-heroes as environmental activists in his trio of young-adult novels: Hoot, about endangered owls, Flush, on the illegal dumping of raw sewage into the ocean and Scat.
2) Will Hobbs writes outdoor stories that appeal to both boys and girls. Hobbs has readers discovering wild places, sharing adventures with people from varied backgrounds, and exploring how to make important choices in their own lives. http://www.willhobbsauthor.com/index.html
3) Gary Paulson's survival stories. http://www.randomhouse.com/features/garypaulsen/
4) Jean Craighead George still ranks with the best of eco mystery writers.
Jean Craighead George's Official Website
5) Ben M. Baglio. The Dolphin Diaries series.
6) Hannah West series by Linda Jones
7) Operation Redwood by S. Terrell French
8) Missing Manatee by Cynthia DeFelice
9) Bonnie Doerr
10) Claire Datnow. The Adventures of the Sizzling Six, eco mystery series.
Did you know that there is a National Outdoor Book Award—for adults and young people? To see a listing of 2011 winners visit:
Other Interesting Links: